Grade 8: Core Online Math Bootcamp
For information, call: +1 (416) 876-1248 (Canada)
Summer 2022 Class Schedules
Registration deadline: June 30, 2022
Course duration: July 5 – August 19, 2022 (7 weeks)
- Grade 8 (Section 1): Tuesdays at 2:00-3:00 PM and Thursdays at 2:00-3:00 PM
- Grade 8 (Section 2): Wednesdays at 5:00-6:00 PM and Fridays at 5:00-6:00 PM
Grade 8 Course Curriculum
The specific topics that we cover are:
- Arithmetic and negatives
- Distributive law
- Linear equations
- Linear inequalities
- Percentage, decimals, fractions
- Percentage “of” and change
- Ratios and proportions
- Square roots and radicals
- Number theory
Bonus topics for leftover time:
- Percentage-based linear equations
- Simplifying square roots
- Advanced linear equation tactics
- More number theory
Included in the Package
- Maximum enrollment in a class is 5 students
- Each course has 2 lessons per week, for a total of 14 lessons (the schedule is above)
- Each lesson consists of 1 hour of live online instruction where the instructor will teach via Zoom Pro and an interactive pen tablet
- Homework problems are assigned after every lesson, with detailed and personalized feedback provided for improvement
- Help is available by email contact
Students should have
- A stable internet connection
- A computer or tablet
- Headphones or speakers
- A microphone (may be in-built in device)
- A free Zoom account on your device
- A Gmail e-mail address in order to sign up for Google Classroom (platform for homework)
- Phone camera or scanner for submitting handwritten homework
- A scientific calculator
Instructor: Samer Seraj
About the Instructor
- A decade of educational experience in Ontario, Canada and California, USA
- University of Toronto graduate as a mathematics specialist
- Crux Mathematicorum journal guest editor
- University of Waterloo CEMC Problem of the Month committee member
- University of Toronto Math+ instructor
- USRA and UTEA research grant winner
- President of U of T Mathematics Union
- Canadian Mathematical Olympiad qualifier
Notes on Curriculum
- The courses are ideal for students who want to learn the material ahead of school, or review what they have previously learned. They can also be taken concurrently with school courses, but the sequence in which we cover the material may not match that of the school.
- Some topics in the Ontario curriculum might be skipped. Specifically, we focus on building a solid foundation in mathematical skills instead of the topics of finance, data, and coding. See the curriculum details above.
- The prerequisite for a course is the previous grade level’s math content.
- While we largely follow the Ontario curriculum, we do not offer official provincial credit for taking a course.
- Lessons are recorded, but are not made available to students or published. If a student misses a lesson, then the handwritten notes from from the lesson may be studied, but there is no substitute for coming to a live online session.
- In case of extenuating circumstances, the lessons might be rolled over by some time.
- After a payment has been received, a refund will not be processed unless the class section is cancelled. In that case, a refund will be processed promptly.
Please apply using the form below. We will respond by email to begin a conversation about your student’s needs.
- The fees for one student in a 14-lesson program is \$420 CAD, which is \$30 per lesson. For applications submitted on or before May 31, a 5% early bird discount applies, for total fees of \$399. We are pleased to say that GST/HST taxes are not applicable to this service, so the stated fees are all-inclusive. After an initial discussion, information about the payment method (INTERAC e-transfer) will be provided if you choose to sign up for the course.
- For students who are new to Existsforall Academy, a free 30-minute 1-on-1 coaching call is available upon request so that you may exclusively experience our teaching. Based on the session, we can also guide students about which course would be appropriate for them, given their skill background. This is a $35 CAD value offered for free!
Thank you for your interest!